Going to pre-school: the younger chronicles


            I vividly remember the day when my younger one went to pre-school.


            It was five years ago. She was two. We had been preparing her mentally for the concept of school – a place where there would be no mummy or papa, or even nanaji (grandfather), but where she would still have a lot of fun. My elder one had contributed to the process by telling about the fun she had with her teachers and friends. She was somewhat convinced, but was still apprehensive.


            The school was the ground floor of a neighbouring building. The walls were colourful and had a lot of cartoon characters – that surely was a good omen. The teacher was friendly, and talked very sweetly. She did not use her pet name, but called her Shaivi. This was a sign that she was being treated like a big girl – a girl ready to go to school. But she had her doubts. How would I know that it was time for me to pick her up from school? I explained to her that I had a watch, and that I will be there to pick her up when the small needle points at 12. But how will the small needle know that that it has to move to 12? What if it jumped over 12? I told her that the needles in the watch always know. She kept quiet, but I could tell that she was apprehensive.


            Her next question dealt with matters closer to her needs. What if she was hungry? I told her that she should tell ma’am. “I am hungry now,” she declared.


            The friendly teacher came to my rescue. She invited her to have her meals with another girl who was also eating. Nearby, some other boys and girls were scribbling with crayons. This appeared to be more appealing to her than food, and she joined that group over the next few seconds, I could see her tiny hands drawing what surely was a masterpiece to her eyes.


            The teacher again approached me and asked me to come back three hours later. I took her advice and left.


            It was not the first time that I was dropping a child to her first day at school, but it definitely was the first time that I was leaving my younger child for school. I had prepared myself for the moment, but it still felt strange. It was as though I, and not my daughter, had crossed a milestone.


            I was there at the appointed time. My angel was playing with colours. When she saw me, she continued colouring for a few more seconds till she was convinced that her masterpiece was finished. She then looked at her teacher, who told her to get her bag. In a minute, she was out, carrying her bag and tiffin box. The teacher told me that she had finished her entire meal, and had identified most of the letters of the alphabet, and had coloured and painted a lot. I asked whether she had made any friends, but the answer was in negative.


            Walking back home, she demanded a toffee from the neighbourhood shop. I complied. I then asked about her day, and she burst out in a flurry describing her teacher, and the games she played, about the boy who was crying the entire time, about the mischievous girls who just would not listen to the teacher, and about the teacher who was sweet, but not at all like her grandmother. I asked whether she spoke to other boys and girls, to which she replied in negative. The reason – “I go to school to study, not to talk,” she said.


            The answer came as a humorous shock to me. In her entire life, ever since she learnt to speak, I had never known to be quiet except when asleep.


            In her own mind, and in her own way, my daughter had learnt an important lesson – that it was possible to be disciplined while enjoying to the fullest. Over the years, she has shown many more examples of being committed to living life to the fullest.


            That day was the first tiny step.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conversing with telephone

The Bat and I

Harry Potter in Quarantine