Aadya - the beginning

I am 42 years old, and I have two daughters.
I have been brought up in a society that craves sons. When we were expecting our first child, all our relatives wished us a son. I tried hard not to appear disappointed at their wish, for I really wanted a daughter.
On the appointed day, my wife was wheeled to the operation theatre. I was worried, both for my wife and my child. My mother - in - law was there to give me company. As is the custom in India, I was not allowed inside the operation theatre.
After a few minutes, a nurse announced that that the goddess of wealth and luck had decided to bless our house.
I do not remember my exact reaction, except that I was elated. But my mother - in - law says that she has never seen a person who was happier than I was at the time.
A man, probably relative of another patient, decided to console me. But I was too happy to be angry with him.
We named her Aadya. She was the beginning of something new. She was the goddess that existed at the beginning of the world, and our world had just begun.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conversing with telephone

The Bat and I

Harry Potter in Quarantine